NDIS Disability Care Workers Insurance | MyCareSpace

NDIS Disability Care Workers Insurance

Insurance for disability care workers

With the introduction of the NDIS, more people living with a disability are now receiving the funding they need. They are able to engage support workers that care for them in their day to day life, help them attend social and community events and allow them to achieve their life goals.

With this comes the need to make sure that these support workers are able to understand and mitigate the risks they face in performing this important job of caring for someone with a disability.

Whether a support worker is self-employed and working alone or part of a care organisation, they need to be protected against the risks they face each time they go to work.

Why do NDIS disability support workers need insurance?

As a disability support worker or care worker, you take on a great deal of responsibility. You are often making decisions for and acting on behalf of the people you are caring for. Because of this, if something were to go wrong, you could be held liable.

Consider this: you are having an absolutely hectic day with a huge amount of pressure and responsibility - perhaps there is usually a family member to help you, but today they are absent. By mistake, you give the wrong amount of medication to the person you are caring for. As a result, they need emergency medical care. This could result in a claim of negligence, malpractice or even professional misconduct. Professional Indemnity Insurance can protect you against claims of professional misconduct.

Because you’re always in close contact with your clients, their families and members of the public, you are also exposed to the possibility of injuring someone or causing damage to their property.

Consider this: You place a wheelchair or crutches in such a way that someone falls over them and is injured. You could be held liable for the cost of compensation and any medical treatment they may require.

Public Liability insurance will protect you against such claims by covering your legal and defence costs, court attendance costs, medical costs of the person who was injured and compensation awarded to them.

To help disability carers cover the risks they face while doing this important work, MyCareSpace is partnering with insurance experts that understand the industry and their needs. 

Using over 30 years of experience in the human services sector, Aon have created tailored and affordable insurance solutions to protect care workers in the event of a claim. 

What kind of insurance is available for NDIS disability care workers?

 1. Professional Indemnity

Covers you against legal claims for actions arising from the performance of your duties. E.g. giving advice (counselling), respite/health care, education and advice on the installation of home modifications and maintenance.

 2. Public Liability

If third parties suffer an injury or property damage as a result of your negligence, Aon can ensure that you are protected in the event of a claim.

3. Personal Accident

Covers you for accidental injury or death whilst performing your duties.

Want to know more?

Have an Aon broker contact you to help you work out the appropriate cover/s that suits your needs and provide an estimate.

Please submit the form below to choose your preferred form of contact:


NOTE: MyCareSpace does not underwrite or provide any advice in relation to Aon’s Disability Carer Cover. All enquiries as to the scope, terms and cost of the Disability Carer Cover should be directed to Aon. MyCareSpace receives a commission from Aon when they sell Disability Carer Cover products and that enables MyCareSpace to provide insurance and risk management assistance to the community sector.